Dating is something that both men and women should always look forward to. Not only you get to meet new people but at the same time, it allows you to build a relationship and create good memories. Unfortunately, some people are having problems when going out on a date and it seems that they are never successful in the dating arena. This is a sad truth among people with dating anxiety.
What is dating anxiety?
Dating anxiety also known as social anxiety disorder is something that can really make your dating experience the worst date you’ve ever had. This type of behavioral problem makes you lose your self confidence. When you have this anxiety disorder, you are usually afraid of rejection and you always have a fear of what others might think of you. Furthermore, it hinders a person from having a good conversation with their date basically because they don’t want to be judged or criticized. Those who are socially anxious when meeting new people tend to experience stressful interaction which can affect their ability to establish long-term relationship.
If you think you are having this psychological behavior, try to evaluate the causes and get the right treatment or counseling if necessary. For this purpose, below are some of the helpful ways on how to handle dating anxiety;
- As mentioned earlier, the very first thing you need to do is to identify the source of the problem and the reasons why you are reacting that way whenever you go out with somebody. It is very important that you isolate the reasons why so it will be easier for you to deal with your anxiety the next time.
- Have a realistic plan on how you are going to resolve the problem. It’s important that you have goals and to make it more effective, set a timeframe and make sure to track your progress.
- Believe in yourself and your positive traits. Share more about your personality, your interests and things that are important to you. Doing so will make the conversations become much easier.
- Keep reminding yourself that negative reactions can be taken in a positive light. Think of criticism as something that can make you grow.
- Remind yourself that it’s okay to fail. It is through failure that you will be able to find the person that is intended for you.
- Think that others are also going through the same anxiety disorders just like you. Obtain strength and advice from people with similar situation and you will feel comforted.
- Determination is the key. Having the will power helps a lot in overcoming your anxiety. While others can offer you help, still your willingness and effort is the key to success.
- Finally, go out on a date for you to know how much you have improved. Again, monitor your progress and keep finding ways on how to improve yourself without compromising your genuine qualities.
Go ahead, be yourself and just enjoy dating while you are young. There are a lot of things that the dating world has to offer, so keep exploring the many possibilities. You should not let this anxiety hinders you from finding the love of your life. Overcoming dating anxiety won’t happen overnight, but you can conquer it. Just believe.